Important Update on Viruses and Malware
Please check out my recommendations at the Running as a User in Windows XP page.
My primary goal is to teach my clients how to use the software they already own on their own computers. I enjoy teaching people to make the best use of their computers and software. Since every computer is different, I do my tutoring in my clients' homes (in the Emporia, KS, area) rather than having them come to my workplace.
My secondary goal is to encourge safe computing practices that will lead to trouble-free computer use.
Applications and Tasks Tutored
- Microsoft Office Applications -- 1997, 1998 (Mac), 2000, 2001 (Mac), XP, 2002, 2003, 2007
- Word Perfect from version 5.0 to present
- Quattro Pro (spreadsheet with Word Perfect)
- Microsoft Works, all versions
- Other word processors
- Microsoft Publisher, all versions
- FrontPage web development software
- Dreamweaver web development software
- Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Microsoft Outlook
- Netscape (all versions)
- Outlook Express
- Eudora e-mail client
- WS_FTP ftp client
- Posting sales to Ebay
- Creating e-mail advertising
- Creating business cards or greeting cards
- Creating professional documents
- Creating and posting websites and webpages
I am also available for consultation concerning new computer purchases and setup, hardware or software troubleshooting, and virus removal. Only rarely do I do repairs; I generally recommend others for that type of work.
A virus is a small computer program designed to create damage on other computers. It is usually distributed by e-mail these days, but can be gotten from other sources as well. There is additional information in the Virus Info link at the top of the page.
Recently, the most serious problems have been caused by "malware" or spyware. These are little programs that are run on your computer without your knowledge. They can be as harmless as directing advertising that complements your browsing or as serious as logging your keystrokes and stealing passwords for bank accounts. Some of these are as damaging and annoying as the viruses.
Computers can be invaded by outsiders who are "hacking" into computers that are online. Check the security link at the top of the page for ways to avoid having your computer invaded and attacked.
I can be reached at email@example.com
or Phone (620) 342-7961 or Cell (620) 481-0700
I am located in Emporia, KS